This webpage examines the eyewitness accounts and other evidence that shows Amelia and Fred were arrested and taken to Saipan. There were over 200 individuals who claimed they saw her, this site examines who they were, and what they heard or saw. It includes details of evidence the Electra was found on Saipan, interviews with people who saw her and the Electra before and after they were taken to Saipan. Interviews with over two dozen Saipanese who claim they saw her there and over a dozen US Marines who claim they found the Electra, her passport, briefcase and other details.


Mystery Deepens... Was Lost Pilot Eaten by Giant Crabs?

If I had a nickel for every wacky theory that came my way...

"Giant Coconut Crabs with Claws the Size of Texas likely Ate Her Remains!"
Cranky big crab.

This is the latest twist on a twist.  In July Tighar reported that their cadaver dogs had found human remains.  In June they were reporting that coconut crabs were threatening their cadaver dogs.  Couple of days ago, oops, the body must have been dragged off by crabs. 

Um... ok.  Yes, we've all seen the video of a coconut crab executing a pesky seabird. Even that "science alert" news got the headline "Giant Crab Eats Innocent Seabird!" (As opposed to "Guilty Seabird Taken Down by Law Abiding Crab!" Who knows if the seabird is innocent? Maybe he was stealing from the crab... but I digress...)

Yes, I've seen Coconut Crabs.  In the Marianas as well. In fact on Saipan in particular.

Why is that important?

Well, over 200 eyewitnesses claim that they saw Amelia Earhart, Fred Noonan and the Electra after it disappeared on July 3rd, 1937.

Saw her as a captive on the back of a
Japanese truck in 1944. Parked for 30 minutes
in front of him. "Not something you'd forget."
As these pages note, 15 new eyewitnesses have come forth from a recent trip to Saipan, where we interviewed people who either had relatives who saw her (son of a nurse who treated her, daughter of a mother who washed her clothes) or who claim to have seen her with their own eyes (including an eyewitness who lives in San Jose, and two eyewitnesses who saw her being transported by Japanese soldiers on the back of a truck.)

Saw her on the back of the same truck in 1944 a mile away.
Former Congressman, his father saw her come ashore in 1937

That doesn't include the US Marines who claim they found the Electra in a hanger on Saipan, the ones who claim they saw it flown, the ones who claim that saw it in the hangar, the ones who claim they heard officers talking about "Amelia Earhart's plane" or the ones who claim they saw it taken out to the runway and destroyed and buried by US forces.

Or the US Marine who found her briefcase and passport "dry as a bone."
A US Vet, his dad saw her incarcerated in prison in 1937
None of that matters.  Because you see, back in 1940, a British soldier (nameless I guess) claimed he found a skeleton on an island (not uninhabited.  Visited frequently by locals for hunting, fishing and other reason, unless you don't consider local islanders as humans) that "was the right size for Amelia Earhart."

Is that with or without shoes?

This army vet went with a Jeep full of GIs to the
airfield to see "Amelia Earhart's airplane" in a hangar.
Same hangar others claim it was in.
Meanwhile, over 200 islanders claim to have seen a number of detailed, corroborated by other islanders events; the Electra coming down in Mili, the Japanese arresting her, the Electra being taken to Jaluit, her being brought with Fred Noonan to Jaluit, put aboard a seaplane and taken to Saipan, the plane, aboard the Koshu taken to Saipan between July 9th and 19th by the Koshu (for the ships records see for those details).
His mom tended to her wounds in the hospital onSaipan.
Then we have islanders who claim to have treated her wounds, islanders who claim to have washed her clothes, who claim to have met her (one was given a trinket), claim to have seen her in prison, claim to have seen her on the back of a truck as late as 1944 (with two US soldiers who had been shot down in early 1944.)  We have over 200 people who claim to HAVE SEEN HER.
SAW HER as she was escorted onto Saipan.
Story hasn't changed in 70 years.
Not a skeleton. Not a crab eating a skeleton.  The person we know and love as Amelia Earhart.  Why people don't believe them is beyond me to understand or comprehend.  
Navy vet worked with a stevedore who claimed
he pulled the plane off of Mili.
Simple logic will tell you if "People were making up this story about Amelia for some unknown reason (fame/profit) why haven't other islanders come forward and said the same thing?" Where are the islanders from Tinian, Guam, Okinawa, take your pick coming forward and saying "No! We saw her here! We saw her in a camp! We saw her lounging on a houseboat!"  None.  No one. Not a single solitary eyewitness.
Bob Wallack found her briefcase. Dry as a bone.
This briefcase. Which another US Marine saw as well.
And both claimed it LOOKED JUST LIKE THIS ONE.
And not any coconut crabs making the same claim either.

If you go to Saipan some day, and I hope you do, you'll see that the island is not over run by them.  There are some in the woods, up in the hills, but not running around the island snapping up birds or dead bodies.  Wishful thinking perhaps. But none on film yet.
Guarded the Electra for 24 hours. Decoded the message that said
"Why have found Earhart's plane Aslito airfield" in July of 44.
Decoded the message when they decided to fly it. Decoded the message
when they decided to burn it.  Went with a friend and WATCHED THE
ELECTRA BURN.  Sorry if that bothers people - but take it up
with your government, not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Eyewitness Accounts: Published


Pg 40. “Glancing out on the runway ramp.. an area not the main part of Aslito Field, but an extended arm of the airstrip at the southwest corner… Near an embankment was (AE’s plane). (LATER) .. a muffled explosion at Aslito Field erupted into a large flash fire… I crouched and crawled toward the airfield. When I could see what was burning, I was aghast! The twin engine plane was engulfed in flames! I could not see anyone by the light of the fire… in July 1944.”


Goerner gathers dozens of eyewitnesses to Earhart’s incarceration and second hand info about her execution.


Amelia reveals she did not know Morse code (and neither did Fred Noonan)



South African journalist gathers numerous eyewitnesses at Mili, Majuro and Jaluit. There is footage of these interviews, but it exists somewhere in Miami – still trying to locate the negative.


Elgen shows how the original plan devised by radio man Harry Manning was adhered to by the Coast Guard Itasca – they didn’t know Manning got off the plane in Hawaii and wasn’t on the electra. So 90% of all their communication was in Morse code – something neither AE or FN knew.


PG 32. Robert Sosbe, 1st battalion 20th Marines, 4th marine division) Sosbe said he saw the Electra before and during its destruction) “on or about D+5 after our infantry had captured Alsito, the night before, then were driven off, only to capture it again, our Co was called up to fill a gap between our infantry and the 27th Army infantry. The trucks carrying us stopped off the opposite side of the runway from the hangars and tower about 3 to 5 hundred yds. This two engine airplane was pulled from the hangar to off the runway where it was engulfed in flames from one end to the other. I can still remember exactly the way it burned, how the frame and ribs because it was visible. It was about half dark. It burned approximately 15-30 minutes.”

Same page: a letter from Earskine Nabers: “I am seeking Marines who were placed on duty at Aslito to guard a padlocked hangar containing AE’s plane. The hangar was not one of those located along the runway. It was located near what may have been a Japanese administration building, and an unfinished hangar at the tarmac, in the southwest corner of the airfield.

The follow up letter (pg 33)

…”we had to get Col. Clarence R Wallace to sign all the messages that came through the message center.) Hq 8th moved back to bivouac area. I was dropped off at the Hangar for guard duty at the main road that went by west side of hangar. The road that went out to hangar, I was placed on the right side, just as it left the main road….

Pg 34 The best I can recall the plane was pulled on the field by a jeep.. the plane was facing north after the plane was parked and jeep moved. A plane came over real low and on the next pass he strafed the plane and it went up in a huge fireball. (We were sitting on the west side of the airfield about one hundred yards from the plane. We were on higher ground. As far as I remember, the (men) that pulled the plane on the field and us guys from H & S 8th were the only ones there.”

Pg 36 Marine Capt Earl Ford of Fallbrook, CA, artillery master sgt with 2nd Marines. Interview 6-7-88 by Paul Cook. “The aircraft was about 100 yards (from me) maybe less. We all saw it. No way we could miss it. A civilian twin engine. No way it was military. American aircraft in civil registration… some officers were saying it was Amelia’s… it had only two windows on the side, back here.”

Arthur Nash, Air Corps Corps, P47 group on Aslito. Claims he saw the plane on July 4, 1944 (book says 1945, must be a misprint based on following) pg 40:

“After landing on Isley.. at 2:30 pm, Japanese soldiers were running around the airstrip, one killed himself in the cockpit of a P47D with a grenade…” I slept fairly well (in the hangar) and (in the morning) wandered over to a large hole in the hangar wall facing the other hangar. The hangar floor and the area between the hangars was littered with debris, displace with siding from the hangars, maybe 65 yards apart, but close enough to get a good look at a familiar aircraft outside the other hangar. My eyesight was acute and what I saw was Amelia Earhart’s airplane!... the next morning I went over to see it but it was gone.”

Jerrell Chatham, 1st platoon, I company, 3rd regiment, 2nd marine deivions: “I was driving trucks .. on Saipan… when we went ashore I saw the hangar where Amelia Earhart’s plane was stored, I also saw the plane in the air. They told us not to go close to the airplane hangar and we did not…”

Pg 44: Howard Ferris, US Marines: “Sent to Saipan for guard dutey… an old hangar structure at end of a runway. This hangar was not large,.. small trees in front of big doors.. (then he recounts the same Marine argument that Devine and Nabers recount – where some Navy brass attempted to get in, but a Marine (Nabers) refused them entry.)” Howard was not present at the fire, but one of his buddies was. The buddy said a truck arrived with many gas cans and the guards saturated the entire hangar.. and it burned totally.

Pg 50 Robert Sowash, 23rd regiment 4th Marines Division: “I saw a plane in a building that was not a military plane.. I remember other Marines saying it was the same as Earhart’s. Later the place was cordoned off..”

Pete Leblanc, 121st Naval CB’s, 4th Marine division: “some of our guys were sneaking over towards the airfield to try and see (AE’s plane). We heard there were guards there. Then it was burned up later.”


Over 200 eyewitnesses as gathered by all the different authors with the various reports of her landing on Mili, being brought to Jaluit and incarcerated in Garapan prison.